Most toddlers are still so young that they don’t really remember what Christmas stockings and stocking stuffers are from a previous year. Unless they have older siblings building it up, stockings are what you want them to be for your own family traditions. We don’t go over the top with stockings in our family. But it’s always been a fun chance to do some little cute budget-friendly gifts. So here are my stocking stuffer ideas for toddlers and babies.
My budget for stocking stuffers is to pick items usually in the $1-5 range, for a total of $10-20. If you have more than one kid or are celebrating with family, stocking stuffers add up quick! So make sure it’s something that they will actually use and enjoy.
Tips for Toddler Stocking Stuffers:
- Toddlers have lower expectations of stockings
- Save out small items in the months before Christmas (like a pair of socks, undies, art supplies etc)
- Buying packs of things. Either use for group stocking stuffers, or if you just have one save the rest for later as art supplies etc. For example: Playdoh pack, animal packs, art supply packs like sidewalk chalk, stickers, temporary tattoos etc, is a great way to save money.
- The last few years it’s been popular for stores to sell stocking stuffer gift sets. Which proves that stores hope someone will buy them and that some people really will buy almost anything! But most of us will be saving ourselves the extra money and doing old school stockings with unique little treats.
Toddler Stocking Stuffer Ideas:
Small Animal Figures
Schleich animals (1 or 2 of these is my max budget, but I also bought a 4 pack of farm ones and brought out just 1 at a time over a few weeks when my little guy had just turned one) – cat, puppy, cheetah, or fawn are $3-4/each
Terra by Battat or Safari LTD TOOB animal packs – 60 piece pack $10
Building & Vehicle Items
IKEA train parts – like the IKEA battery-operated locomotive train – $7.99
IKEA train turntable ($4)
Matchbox or Hot Wheels cars – $1 each or $5 for a 5 pack
Small CAT construction trucks set – 5 pack $`12
Art & Creative Stocking Stuffers
- art supplies – fun stickers, dot stickers, sale craft items, new markers etc
- fine motor hand tool set
- Playdoh tubs
- mini kinetic sand packs
- finger puppets – $5 for a 10 pack IKEA
- sidewalk chalk
- paintbrushes – sets or funky ones
- pens or wax crayons ($1.50), white board markers ($1.99) or paints or colored pencils ($3.99)
- art cards ($1.99)
- learning scissors – 2 pack ($5)
Learning & Educational
- Percussion instruments – small like the egg shaker ones
- Mini board book – like Richard Scarry’s Cars & Trucks Apple Car book
- “educational” games or toys from Target Dollar spot – sometimes they’ve had mini puzzles or letter/number things etc.
- Bath waterfall spinners – $5 (could do 1 in stocking rest wrapped)
- bath letters / numbers set ($4.50)
- bath crayons 5ct – $4.50
Food & Eating Related Stocking Stuffers
- orange or other small fruit
- individually wrapped treat – like fruit leather, granola bar, gummies, or other packaged item they haven’t tried
Baby Stocking Stuffer Ideas: For Babies 0 – 1
- Soft non-tearable books – Indestructibles
- soft ball – $1.99
- small stuffed animal like this small soft toy bear $1.99
- rattle ($3) or lovie ($4)
- Stacking & nesting cups $3
- bath toy boat $4
- Munchkins bath toy squirter animals – $4.50
- Boon Bubble bath wands – $5
- 1 year old music shaker
- food – pouch or little treat
The first two years of having a toddler, I literally just rounded up some things from home and put them in a stocking that night. Zero planning. This year, with a three year old, I’ll be planning a little bit more, but still not going crazy.
Minimalist Stocking Stuffer Mantra
I love the gift saying of “Something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read.” I think this can apply well to stocking stuffers too. Good luck and happy Christmas! I hope this has given you some extra stocking stuffer ideas for toddlers in your life.
>>Need more Christmas ideas? Check out Toddler Advent Calendar Ideas for 2020.